Diversity Issues in Higher Education Conference
It Takes S.T.E.A.M. to Fuel the Future of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (2019)
Each year the American Conference on Diversity partners with an institution of higher education to bring together educators, students, business leaders, and community members to discuss issues central to educating and empowering leaders and emerging leaders in higher education and the workplace. This conference has become one of New Jersey’s premier events to engage both the academic and corporate sectors in tackling the complexities of diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as providing pathways towards more just and inclusive institutions.
For the first time in nearly two decades, we moved outside of the campus setting to a corporate environment. The 2019 Diversity Issues in Higher Education Conference was held at BASF North America Headquarters on Friday, November 15th, from 9 am to 3 pm. BASF has more than 20,000 employees in North America and had sales of $19.7 billion in 2018.
This full-day conference featured dynamic speakers and breakout sessions as well as addressing critical diversity challenges in academia, the community, and in workplaces. College students as well as corporate and community leaders attended this event. This year’s conference had a particular focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics.
Planning Committee Institutions: Berkeley College, College of Saint Elizabeth, Kean University, New Jersey City University,Saint Peter’s University, and Seton Hall University
- 2000 – Holding Higher Education Accountable: Diversity in Real Life
- 2001 – Human Relations Skills in the Workplace
- 2003 – Human Relations Skills in the Workplace
- 2004 – Diversity, Privilege and Empowerment: Tools to Make a Difference
- 2005 – Campus Diversity: Past, Present and Beyond – a 5 year overview
- 2007 – Educating for Inclusive Leadership: Developing the Next Generation of Leaders for Change.
- 2008 – Celebrating Community with a Purpose: From the Environmental to the Interpersonal
- 2009 – Diversity Initiatives: Facing the Challenges of Tough Times Diversity Issues in Higher Education Planning Guide
- 2010 – Celebrating a Decade of Inclusion: Transition Troops to College and the Workplace
- 2011 – A Dream Deferred? Black and Latino Males in College and the Workplace
- 2012 – Who Has the Access C.O.D.E.: Positioning a Generation for the Best Careers, Opportunities, and Diversity through Education
- 2013 – Bridging the Digital Divide: Equity, Education, and Technology in the Global Marketplace
- 2014 – The Changing Face of Diversity: Poverty, Education, Immigration, and Race
- 2015 – Moving Beyond Words
- 2016 – The Charge to Lead Diversity & Inclusion in a Climate of Globalization
- 2017 – Making Meaning of Today’s Cultural Climate
- 2018 – Diversity & Inclusion: Life and Death Matters
- 2019 – It Takes S.T.E.A.M. to Fuel the Future of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
For more information contact us at DIHigherEducation@AmericanConferenceOnDiversity.org. If you are interested in serving as a volunteer panelists, email your bio (500 words or less) to us at the email above for review by our planning committee.